Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Sweet Georgia Peach


I am proud to be a Georgia Peach. Yes, I was born in Kentucky, which I am proud of as well but have been in the Peach State since I was 2. Now is the time to enjoy those delicious GA peaches. Although we have been in battles with the bugs, birds, and beasts we have managed to get some delightful fruit from our tree out back. As the favor at my wedding I made peach preserves I thought it would be a good crowd pleaser, and it was. Preserves are a great way to capture the flavor of sweet summer peaches but I wanted to try something different. My son loves what he calls “fruit strips” the smooshed fruit roll up thingies. Of course I try and buy him the ones without all the crazy ingredients like corn syrup, food coloring, and soy lecithin, but man, are they pricey! I have been wanting to experiment with them because there is something about paying a lot of money for something that I can do, probably better and certainly more healthfully, that really bugs me. So I made peach fruit leather. I am so excited about this and my kid loves it! I also have a few other recipes for you to try with your fuzzy little fruits! Enjoy!

Peach “Fruit Strips”
Peaches-8, about 2 pounds, peeled and chopped  (not necessary to peel)
Fresh lemon juice-2 tablespoons
Local honey-2 tablespoons-1/4 cup, depending on sweetness of peaches, less is better

Heat an oven to the lowest setting possible, mine is 170°F. Puree all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and divide the mixture evenly between pans. Spread the puree into a thin layer, tilting the pan to get as even as possible. Bake in the oven for several hours until it is no longer wet to the touch but not yet crispy, ours took about 4 hours. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch wide strips, leaving the paper on. Roll up and store in an airtight container for a few weeks or in the fridge for several months.

Note: this can be done with just about any fruit. Apples with cinnamon, blueberries and lime, even pumpkin… you can get creative too with different combinations and flavor combos!

Grilled Peaches:
 Peaches- cut in half and pits removed (1 per serving)
Canola oil-for brushing the peaches
Crème fraiche- for serving (see post from June 19,2011 for recipe)
Fresh Basil- chopped, for garnish
            This couldn’t be simpler and very versatile. Heat a grill to medium high. Brush the peach halves with canola oil. Place on the grill cut side down and grill for a few minutes until they begin to soften, then flip and cook a few minutes more until they are tender but not falling apart. These times will vary based on the ripeness of your peaches. Remove from the grill; serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and fresh basil.
Note: I served this with grilled pork tenderloin. YUM. I also had some at my friend Gucci’s house on the 4th. Grilled peaches, tossed with some fresh goat cheese served in an arugula salad with salt and pepper and a splash each of good olive oil and balsamic. SUPER YUM! Alternatively you could serve these over ice cream with a sprinkle of brown sugar!!! Possibilities: endless.

Ginger Peach Bellinis!
Do these ingredients look familiar? “Fruit Strips” for the kids,
Bellinis for the adults!!

Peaches-4, 3 chopped, 1 sliced in wedges for garnish
Local honey- 2 tablespoons
Fresh lemon juice- a squeeze
Fresh Ginger-1 tablespoon, freshly grated (you can use more if you want it spicier!)
Crystalized ginger- 6-8 slices, for garnish
Prosecco-1, 750 ml bottle, chilled (I like Nino Franco)

Puree the 3 chopped peaches, honey, lemon juice, and fresh ginger in a food processor until very smooth. Chill this mixture for at least 30 minutes. To serve fill champagne flutes ¾ full with chilled prosecco, spoon in about a tablespoon of the ginger peach puree and garnish with a sliced peach wedge and a slice of crystalized ginger.

Please enjoy your peaches responsibly!


2 comments:

  1. I've actually been considering trying out making 'fruit leather' at home...though admittedly I was contemplating mangos, I'm looking forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let me know how the mangos turn out. I love it when I can figure out how to make something that I usually buy and make it better!
    V

    ReplyDelete