Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

PORK U: HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

Father’s Day is upon us and is a time that we should stop and appreciate the Dads! I am not sure about you but I know that I was not an easy kid to raise, so I feel like I should say “thank you” to my dad as well. It is a time to let them know how much we care about them and I can’t think of a better way (I know what you are thinking--- “here she goes again”) than with FOOD. I will continue this statement that FOOD brings people together, on so many levels and in so many different ways, all usually good.
One of my best food memories is with my dad. He loves to grill and he also loves to smoke, meat that is. My friend Dave Roberts, owner of Community Q in Decatur, was, at the time, working with Sam Huff at a bbq joint out in Marietta called BBQ-1. I went in to pick up some bbq one day and was telling Dave how much my parents loved their place and he told me about Pork U, a BBQ class that Sam Huff teaches a few times a year at his house.
I thought, “Perfect gift for my dad!” So I registered my dad and Dave said, “Why do you do it too?”  Hello---even better!
I could learn a few things about bbq, hang with my dad, and of course, eat!!!
It starts out at 8 am with Bloody Marys (yesssss) and a huge breakfast of egg strata, gravy, biscuits, and sausage cooked in footed Dutch ovens with coals on top and around the bottom (there is a whole method to this…super cool).
Then on to the meat, baby back ribs, St. Louis style ribs, beer can chickens, pork butts, briskets, wings. Lessons on slow cooking, preparation, rubs, sauces, mops, side dishes, and desserts were all included.
We ate lunch, had snacks, beers, and conversations.
Then around 6, we ate the fruits of our Pork U labors. My kind of day, eat, eat, eat, and talk about what we are eating, then what we are gonna eat next!

It was awesome, Sam had a great place, sweet smoker collection, and of course a ton of info to share. Not only was I the only girl, I think I was the only nerd there taking copious amounts of notes! We learned, we laughed, and we ate. It was great.
What I am getting at here is share some time with your dad. It is more valuable than any gift you could ever, ever buy. Take a class with your dad, try out a new recipe, check out a new restaurant…not just for Father’s Day, ANY day. It’s fun!

Happy Father’s Day Dad!!!
Please smoke responsibly!

Pork U: College of Pork Knowledge:
Cook’s Warehouse: For classes other than BBQ:

No comments:

Post a Comment